About Research Square
Research Square Company, a five-time INC 5000 award winner, exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. Through our industry leading preprint platform, Research Square, research promotion tools, and AJE’s comprehensive suite of manuscript preparation services, we are proud to have supported over 2.5 million authors in 192 countries since our founding in 2004. Across all sides of our business, our team of former researchers and publishing industry professionals truly understand the importance of sharing research results with the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
What we will expect from you once you’re here
Product Marketing Manager plays a key role in the Product Team, generating customer insights that help inform Research Square’s product strategy, assist in leading the go-to-market for our platform and suite of digital products, and create and execute campaigns to drive product growth. The Product Marketing Manager is a highly cross-functional role at Research Square, partnering closely with Product and Engineering, Customer Success, Sales, Design, and Marketing to name a few. You will work across the entire product lifecycle, from helping shape the product, to driving launch and commercialization, to growing product adoption post-launch.
We’re looking for a Product Marketing Manager to work on our Digital Service products and Platform. In this role, you’ll work with Product to define our roadmap for our digital services and third-party integrations in our marketplace, enable our customer-facing teams, and grow awareness and adoption of our suite of digital service products and the Research Square platform.
- A storyteller. You have deep empathy for academic researchers and can adapt how you communicate to best reach and engage your audience—from author to Dean of Research—and differentiate Research Square. You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Data-oriented. You like working with data and insights and pair that with your passion for authors to generate balanced and thoughtful points of view for how to take our products to market
- Organized. You can manage highly interdependent, complex projects and keep various work streams on track
- Passionate about technology. You are keen to learn about how things work and can explain technical concepts in ways that everyday people can understand
- Ambitious. You are eager to make an impact at Research Square. You thrive in a fast-moving, dynamic, hyper-growth environment and can operate fluidly between the 30,000-foot strategy level and the micro-detail to get things right
- A team player. Product Marketers collaborate across the Marketing team and with basically every team at Research Square. You can work with a range of disciplines to execute on your work
- Optionally, knowledgeable about the academic research market or bringing platforms to market
Experience you will need
- Deeply understand how to scope and execute marketing strategies needed to reach different customer segments: talk regularly to users and prospects and work with our data science team for qualitative and quantitative insights that inform your work (content, messaging, positioning, etc.)
- Advocate for our existing and prospective authors, be informed about our competitive landscape, and become the go-to expert for your product area to help shape the product roadmap and strategy
- Develop product positioning and messaging informed by user research, market insights, and product understanding
- Work closely with a range of cross-functional teams—product managers, sales, design, PR, and engineering—to develop go-to-market strategy and drive launches for our products
- Help enable customer-facing teams at Research Square—from Sales and Operations to local teams in other countries
- Work with the Finance and Product teams to set pricing that aligns to the product value proposition and with our customers success
- Partner with the Product and Growth Marketing teams to track the right metrics and execute campaigns that drive awareness and adoption on an ongoing basis
- Think globally as we work to expand our solutions around the world, adapting your understanding of local market needs, competitors, and pricing accordingly
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent related experience
- At least 8 total years of experience in a marketing or product strategy related role.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in product marketing, product management or strategy consulting
- Experience working on product marketing throughout a product’s lifecycle
- Experience within a fast-paced startup environment
- Must have experience working with SaaS
- Experience working in B2B settings and with sales teams
- Experiencing bringing a platform to market
- Strong background with data analysis including the use of Google Analytics, Domo, Tableau and other data analysis tools
- Relocation is not required as this position can be remote based.
- This is a US based position.
Working at Research Square Company
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity, invests in customers’ success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, pace of growth, and innovations. Our organization is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal's Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)
Research Square Company’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity in all its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, military status, age, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for US-based positions with Research Square must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire.
Research Square supports individuals with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations to job applicants. If you need assistance completing our online job application, email Recruitment@researchsquare.com. General inquiries, such as those regarding the status of a job application, will not receive a reply.